Thursday, March 08, 2012

A New Blog on the Block

Magnus Westerstrand brings word of a new EGU blog, which looks quite interesting.

First articles include one by Christopher Pierce about writing that first proposal

I, like many other aspiring academics, am currently locked in the rounds of writing fellowship proposals that if funded will see me break free of the shackles of being somebody’s postdoc and become an independent researcher. Before I can dream about having the kudos of my own budget code, however, I must achieve the seemingly impossible and successfully sell my science. This innocuous phrase is hammered into us from the moment we brazenly set out on our PhD, but it is not until we have been broken by too many late night stints in the lab or in front of our machine that we come to realise exactly how mundane most scientific research is, and just how hard it is to make what we do sound interesting to an outsider.
One by Claire Desplats about passion and science
Man, this guy was good looking – tall, broad shouldered, soft eyed, tousled hair, cute little dimples, … and then…
“Oh wow – that is amazing!”
I looked in shock from Adonis to the oscilloscope we were using and discovered, that, yes, he was indeed talking about the little oscillating line on the dinky screen.  That’s when it struck me that I would probably never be a scientist.  That passion for the quivering green line just escaped me.  Not only that, but I couldn’t even begin to glimpse the reason behind the passion…
And one by Andrew Rushby, that makes Eli's heart flutter (see above) about possible biogeochemistry at Europa.  Perhaps the Bunny can really retire.

Oh yes, a request from the editors.  Should the management make links open new windows or simply link out?


7 comments:

Magnus said...

Yes my test blog :) this one I still use some times... http://westerstrand.blogspot.com/2008/09/methane-hot-topic.html
mostly
http://uppsalainitiativet.blogspot.com/

Still worth a look :)

http://blog.eag.eu.com/

EliRabett said...

Changed:)

Anonymous said...

Thinkin' of retiring to Europa Eli?

The Rushby article evokes memories of Carl Sagan.

Rushby even bears a a bit of resemblance to the Carl as a lad.

~@:>

Former Skeptic said...

Should the management make links open new windows or simply link out?

The former.

ShamelessLiar said...

Happy to be here as a new participant. Don't mind me. Quick Test.

notjonathon said...

Open new tabs, por favor.

willard said...

Link out.